Gingivitis is a prevalent form of gum disease caused when you don’t properly wash your teeth and gums. Anyone can attain gingivitis and many people are even unaware of this condition. In this section, we discuss how to get rid of gingivitis.
What is Gingivitis?
It is a gum disease caused due to bacterial infection. Bacteria start growing in your gums and spread due to unhygienic habits. Remains of your food are stuck in gums and teeth and causes plaque. If you regularly clean your teeth after meals you are protected from plaque. But if you did not clean your teeth for continuous two to three days then the bacteria start growing and causes gingivitis. You may also try home remedies for gingivitis for bleeding gums.
Is there a cure for gingivitis?
Yes! Keep reading you will find the best cure for gingivitis.
How long does it take to get rid of gingivitis?
If you clean your teeth every day, your gum diseases start going away from you after a week. But if the problem becomes severe then you should visit your dentist.
Symptoms of gingivitis
The first signs of gingivitis include red swollen gums and bleeding around the gums and teeth. There are many other symptoms of gingivitis. Here are the some of the symptoms of gingivitis.
Healthy gums are stronger than unhealthy. When you suffer from gingivitis, your gums become soft.
Your gums start bleeding when brush touches the gum.
Healthy gums are slightly pink. Whenever they turn red, it is obvious that you suffer from gingivitis.
Bad breath is common due to the presence of bacteria in your gums.
It is not a standard symptom of gingivitis, but occasionally you can have a painful tender gum.
Inflammation of gums:
You can see or feel puffy gums inside your mouth.
How to get rid of gingivitis:
Here are the some of the ways to get rid of gingivitis.
Salt is one of the useful remedies for the treatment of gingivitis due to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It can quickly treat swollen and inflamed gums. Salt has excellent anti-microbial properties. Use salt to wash your jaws. You can also make a mucilage with salt.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt in the glass of warm water. Use this homemade solution to wash mouth once in each morning and once in the evening until the swelling of the gum is reduced.
- You can also mix ½ teaspoon of salt with enough mustard oil to make a paste. Use this paste to massage the gums for 5 minutes. Wash it with warm water. Repeat this process 2 to 3 times a day.
As we know, Aloe Vera is good for hair and skin, but it is also the best treatment for teeth and gums. This is one of the effective homemade remedies for gingivitis treatment. Aloe Vera kills off the bacteria that may be causing the gum disease which can help the gum to recover fast.
- Take a piece of fresh Aloe Vera and squeeze the Aloe Vera to get the gel and massage the teeth and gums with this gel.
- Leave the Aloe Vera gel to settle. This may take about half an hour.
- Do this activity 2 -3 times every day.
Turmeric is also an effective homemade remedy for the treatment of gingivitis it has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It can reduce plaque, pain, swelling and inflammation in the gums.it also reduce the bacterial activity to prevent infection.
- Take one teaspoon of turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon of salt and mustard oil. Now apply this mixture to your teeth and gums and massage gently.
- You can also mix the ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon of water or vitamin E to make a gum pack. Use it on your gums and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes. Then rinse it with warm water. Follow this treatment at least once a day for a few weeks.
- Another option is to make a paste of turmeric powder and a little hot water, use it up with a simple-bristle toothbrush and brush your teeth with it. Do this twice daily for at least a few weeks.
We know about the benefits of lemon juice on different problems. As it is citrus fruit that contains vitamins and nutrients that are needed by our body. Lemon juice is also used as gum disease treatment as it kills the bacteria feeding on the gums.
- Take a fresh lemon and squeeze to get its juice in the glass mix it with warm water.
Remember not to drink the lemon juice. Just use it to gargle it until you are sure that you have gotten rid of bacteria.
- If your gums usually bleed during brushing, you may do this activity twice a day.
Cloves are well-known due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties that can be used for the treatment of gingivitis. It is also one of the best home remedies that you can use effectively to get rid of gingivitis.
- Get two cloves.
- Chew the cloves on that side of the mouth where you have a problem in the gums.
- Leave it on the gums for few minutes and then wash it with water.
- Do this twice a day.
Use baking soda to cure gingivitis
Baking soda has an amazing quality of balancing the PH of your mouth. Either mouth is alkaline or basic, baking soda neutralizes the PH. This makes it impossible for bacteria and other microbes to grow or survive in your mouth thus preventing you from gingivitis.
- Mix baking soda with warm water and make a paste.
- Brush your teeth with this paste for 2 minutes.
- Wash your mouth.
- Do this only once in 2 – 3 days.
How to Prevent Gingivitis?
Once you get rid of gingivitis, follow these simple steps so to prevent gingivitis.
- You have to Brush your teeth daily. Because teeth and remains of food provide a chance for bacteria to grow on the gums and teeth.
- Visit your dentist regularly to avoid any complexity or problem.
- Use proper mouthwash daily to clean your mouth.
- Change your toothbrush every third month even it looks beautiful.
- You have to quit smoking to avoid gum problems. Because smokers are four times more likely to have gum disease as compared to none smokers.
- Eat healthy and nutritious food. Avoid eating sweets and beverages etc.
- Take more of vitamins and minerals rich foods.